So...Joshua Perkins and I participated in the Virginia Tough Mudder on October 22nd. It was quite the adventure. You can hear all the details, including an obstacle-by-obstacle breakdown of the course, on this week's podcast. Hear about the hills, walls, hills, water, and hills that we faced...in front of a LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE! If you're interested, you can watch the Tough Mudder Virginia 2011 Official Video!! If you pause it at :26 seconds, you can see Joshua and I in the background. Joshua's the tall one...and I'm the one with gray hair!
Tough Mudder Obstacles:
- Braveheart Charge
- 10’ Berlin Walls
- Bales of hay AKA “Gauntlet” (single stacked with barbed wire in between, and a little spray thrown in)
- Devil’s Beard (crawling under cargo net)
- Hold Your Wood (pick up a log and carry up and down a ski slope)
- Funky Munkey (monkey bars)
- “Log Bog Jog” thru the woods
- Twinkle Toes (balance beam)
- Chernobyl Jacuzzi (dumpsters with colored ice water)
- Spider’s Web (vertical cargo net)
- Greased Lightning (slip-n-slide)
- Boa Constrictor (tunnels into and out of water)
- Underwater Tunnels
- Death March/Cliff Hanger (long hike uphill)
- Kiss of Mud (crawl in mud under barbed wire)
- Tires (tires)
- Logjammin’ (over and under horizontal logs)
- Bale Bonds (stacked double-high)
- 12’ Berlin Walls
- Mystery Obstacle (tall drop slide)
- Kinky Tunnels (crawl through tunnels with a couple of turns)
- Shake and Bake (get hosed down then crawl through sand under barbed wire)
- Turd’s Nest (horizontal cargo net with firehose)
- Everest (half-pipe)
- Fire Walker (burning square bales)
- Electroshock Therapy
In the News:
Washington Post: 3 years after deadline, FDA still hasn’t defined ‘gluten-free’
(This week's tips courtesy of Joshua Perkins!)
Eat less tip: Skim Milk
- Skim Milk is less calories and less saturated fats.
- Great with protein shakes or mixing with sugar free pudding for a light snack. Baking too!
- It is best to gradually move down the scale from Whole to 2% to 1% to get used to the taste and texture.
- It is higher in lactose for people that are slightly lactose intolerant and they should switch to lactose free as an alternative.
Exercise More Tip: Change up the routine (AKA muscle confusion)
- Switch up the routine every 9 weeks.
- If you are running on the treadmill then switch to elliptical.
- Running on roads switch to trails.
- Same weight lifting routines switch the exercises and days.
- Yoga on Monday and Zumba on Thursday then switch up the days if possible.